Last week in my Get A Flat Stomach For Christmas post I made mention of the benefits of eating an apple a day.
We’ve all heard the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” but why is this true?
Apples have properties that no other fruits have and its benefits have been proven overtime. You would be able to get the benefits of these properties individually from other fruits and foods, but an apple combines everything together which makes it the perfect fruit.
I thought I would delve into this issue in a little further detail and list all the benefits of eating an apple a day that I could find.
So here is my list of the 30 Benefits Of Eating An Apple A Day:
- Apples contain vitamin C which helps boost your immune system.
- Ripe apples contain around 80% water and almost no fat.
- Apples will provide you with energy.
- Apples are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids contain antioxidants.
- Because apples contain flavoinouds they can prevent coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease.
- Apples are a great source of fiber and help to aid digestion and promote weight loss.
- Apples contain phloridzin. This may protect post-menopausal women from osteoporosis and may also increase bone density.
- Apples are low in calories. A typical apple will contain 70-100 calories, 0.36g protein and 0.23g fat.
- Apples target multiple cancers such as colon cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer in women.
- Apples contain phenols. Phenols reduce bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
- Phenols also prevent LDL cholesterol from turning into oxidized LDL, a dangerous form of bad cholesterol.
- Apples prevent tooth decay. The juice of the apple can kill around 80% of bacteria.
- Apples are a low GI food so you don’t get that sugar high and then crash.
- Apples are a great snacking option in between meals.
- Apples have a high percentage of water in their make up which can help contribute to you daily water intake.
- Apples contain substances called phytonutrients. These prevent neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Apples also contain quercetin. This may protect brain cells from the kind of free radical damage that may lead to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Quercetin has also been found to help prevent the growth of prostate cancer cells.
- People who eat 5 apples or more per week have lower respiratory problems, including asthma.
- Children with asthma who drink apple juice on a daily basis suffer from less wheezing.
- Apples contain Boron which strengthens bones.
- Rats fed 6 apples per day reduced their breast cance risk by 44 percent (Cornell University).
- Pectin in apples reduces the risk of colon cancer and helps maintain a healthy digestive tract.
- Pectin in apples supplies galacturonic acid to the body which lowers the body’s need for insulin and may help in the management of diabetes.
- Apples are a great source of vitamins, minerals and other important chemicals.
- Apples are also found to play a role in inhibiting age related problems, preventing wrinkles and promoting hair growth.
- Apples contain potassium, which is needed for regulation of water balance and muscle function.
- Apples are great for detoxifying the body.
- Women who eat three apples a day lose more weight while dieting than women who do not eat fruit while dieting.
- Apples taste great and come in may different varities!
The best way to obtain the benefits of apples is to eat them raw or as apple juice. Cloudy apple juice means that it will have a higher antioxidant count, and leaving the skin on an apple greatly increases the health benefits of the apple.
Popularity: 50% [?]