For those that hate to sit down and go through the monotonous sit-up routine there is an alternative. You can strengthen and work the same muscles while you are standing up.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Start by standing up (obviously)
2. Lightly tighten your stomach muscles by sucking in your stomach or by tensing up your stomach by pushing down
3. Hold them while you start to tighten harder
4. Now take slow deep breaths, in and slowly out, while continuing to hold your stomach muscles tight.
5. After 7 or 8 breaths you will feel the oblique muscles begin to be work as well. Then the lower and upper abdominals will work in as well. This will all happen without any more effort than the initial light muscle tension combined with the breathing
This is basically a standing version of the blowing in firm yoga pose. The advantage of the standing method over others is that you can do it anywhere and the traditional sit up or crunch may cause pain to your lower back whereas this exercise will help to strengthening you lower back and abs without the pain. Just make sure you remember to breath in and out!
Popularity: 14% [?]